Do you have a strong desire to help others?
Do you want to make a difference in someone's life?
Become an LCDC- a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor!
Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) :
Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Program
Texas Department of State Health Services MC-1982
Mail Code 1982
P.O. Box 149347
Austin , Texas 78714-9347
Telephone: (512) 834-6605 or 1-800-832-9623
Fax: (512) 834-6677
Counselor courses/degree programs offered in San Angelo:
Howard College- counselor education courses:
Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Criminal Justice, Chemical Dependence Counseling
• Minimum of 60 credit hours, or approved 2-year degree
• Minimum of 270 classroom hours in chemical dependency
• 300-hour practicum in the field of chemical dependency or an official college transcript showing an approved degree, which will waive the practicum requirements
Courses approved by DSHS are those that study addictions, counseling theories and techniques, dual diagnosis assessments and treatment, and upper division courses in the study of human behavior/development or service delivery. Other courses may be considered on a case by case basis by submitting the course description or syllabus.
• Counselor Intern (CI) must submit the Licensure Application form through Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
• Complete 4,000 hours of internship at approved site (such as ADACCV- takes about 2 years)
Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor:
• Complete education requirements
• Complete Counselor Internship hours
• Register and study to take LCDC written exam